Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Scotland - Oban


After a 7 hour flight to Dublin and then an additional hour long flight we arrived in Glasgow, Scotland. The flight went well enough, Patrick was able to sleep quite a bit and I did some. It was so fun being around so many people with Irish accents. I think I swooned every time I heard them speak.   When we got to Glasgow we heard lots of Scottish and British accents and I was in heaven! I think I should have been born in one of those 3 places. If I had those accents, I would never shut up. 

Anyway, we got our luggage and our car, and tried to get pumped up to drive 3 hours on the opposite side of the road, on the opposite side of the car. It was strange and pretty dadgum nerve-wracking. And to make things a little more intense, Patrick had rented a stick shift and YIKES!  He adapted quickly to the different car make-up, but driving on the opposite side of the road was a whole knew challenge. Anytime a car would pass by, Patrick would nearly put my side of the car in the ditch. I tried to remain calm and not think about it and that led to me nodding off quite a bit. Every time I'd open my eyes and see a car that looked like it was heading right for us I would think "We're gonna die," and then I'd relax because I've heard if your tense in a wreck it's usually more fatal. But thanks to Patrick we made it to our final stop of the day--Oban, and had some delicious fish and chips and enjoyed lots of beautiful scenery and a few stops along the way. 

We stayed at Blarcreen House which is a working farm. It was like being in a Jane Austin's novel. They had flowers planted all around the house and sheep everywhere. It was right beside Loch Etive where some scenes from Harry Potter were shot. Our host were soo nice. She was very English and her husband was very Scottish. They were very welcoming and kind  It was quite lovely! 



Balmoral Castle 









McCraig's Tower





View of Oban from McCraig's Tower





Blarcreen House
(Not my picture. I forgot to take one while I was there. I did an image search and found this, but couldn't find an original source.)

0 comments: