Friday, June 13, 2014

Scotland -- Isle of Skye Day 1

While on the Isle of Skye we stayed at Lochshore House. Karen and Colin, our host, were so friendly and warm. Not to mention they offered deliciously fresh food. They gave us lots of advice about traveling around Skye, and great restaurants and bakeries to try. They were originally from somewhere in England, and had moved to Skye and opened their B&B about 2 years prior. They would come to Skye and holiday and fell in love. When they retired, they moved to Skye and walked for 2 months straight exploring. I think I want to be them when I grow up.

Our first walk of the day:

This walk was pretty easy, but it rained/drizzled on us for a good part of the first hour of it. We got to see our first highland cows! I loved it, but for some reason have always been terrified of being to close to cattle. Patrick convinced me to get closer, and closer, and closer for a picture until one of the cows let out a pretty big snort, and I thought I was about to get trampled and die! Luckily the cow was just clearing his throat and I survived...barely. Patrick had to hear the rest of the day  trip how I risked my life for that picture. I'm sooo happy he did though, because one of the pictures of the cows has got to be a top 5 fav of mine from the trip. I must have a little bit of my Grandma Hitchcock in me, she's always loved the way cows look.

This walk took us along some pretty narrow cliffs where you could see cattle hooves stuck in the mud. I can't believe how close they get to the edge without falling! There were times that I said, "Yep, I'm gonna die today." I'm such a scaredy cat, how did I end up here??! Oh yeah, there was this funny, cute guy....



 We didn't go over to the old church, we walked along that stone fence to the outside of it though. 

 The tide was low while we were there which was unfortunate for a few pictures but I like the look it gave to others.






Coral Beach and Dunvegan Castle

We went and had a picnic on Coral Beach. It isn't really coral just a type of seaweed that gets bleached by the sun and looks like coral. It is everywhere. No sand just "coral." We spotted seam seals playing off in the distance and watched some pelicans along the shore line. This was a pretty popular touristy spot so we enjoyed people watching too. We could have happily skipped out on this walk. Probably our least favorite. Beautiful, but when compared to the others it definitely doesn't measure up.





This walk took us through some forests, fields, and along some more rocky coastline. It was simply beautiful.






Total miles walked for the day: 10miles

On our drive back to Lochshore House, we hit what the locals call rush hour in Skye. Sheep all over the roads. They usually moved pretty quickly when they saw you coming, but there were some adventure seeking ones that liked for you to get reeaallly close with your car before they'd move. And a few older ones that just laid there on the side of the road, and barely looked our way as we passed by. We ate dinner at the most delicious restaurant I think I've ever eaten at. They offered a nice dining area or pub style. The food was so so good and fresh and not overpriced. I have wanted to go back just to eat there a few times since we've been home. 







0 comments: