Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I'm not a huge advocate of epidurals.

I mean if you want one by all means get one. I'm not the type of person to try and pressure anyone to not have one. I'm not a sadist or a masochist for that matter. I guess I just imagined the experience different when I thought about it with my first baby. It's not that I hated it. I just wasn't crazy about the way it made me feel. I felt anxious instead of at ease, and I hated not being able to move my body. I also didn't care for the fact that it seemed harder to breathe. I had dealt with some pretty intense contractions before receiving the shot so I felt like I had a pretty good gauge on what could be expected without an epidural. I should probably mention that with William's birth it was like the stork flew in the window, laid my baby gently in my lap and we cuddled! Absolutely perfect. Anyway, I knew if millions of women could give birth without an epidural than I could, but did I want to?? With that being said, I will definitely try my hardest to get to the hospital more than 50 minutes before my next baby is born.

I started having some extremely painful contractions around 3:30 a.m. on Sunday the 13th. Contractions never became regular and some hours I would have very few if any at all. They finally got regular at 6 and at 6:30 I knew it was time to go. We got to the hospital a little after 7. Mom called Patrick at 7:20 (he had to go to Smithville to get Tamiflu for William because we found out that day he had the flu and everyone in town had run out of it!) The nurses moved me into a room around 7:30. Patrick arrived after that. And at 7:51 Jack arrived. And a minute or two after that the anesthesiologist arrived. And a minute or two after that the doctor arrived.

Just so you can all know how not tough I am -- a few favorite quotes...
"I'm gonna die."
"Do I really have to wait for all those fluids before I can get an epidural?"
"Somebody please help me."
"I'm never doing this again."

I went through labor with a surgical mask on because of the flu threat. I felt like I was giving birth in the Sahara! They did test me again at some point during the labor and found out after delivery that I was flu free so I could hold my baby and I didn't even have to wear a mask! It was over and I was oh. so. happy.

7 comments:

Blake H said...

Cool story.

Now post the pictures of me and my boys.

:)

Chad & Bonny Day said...

So? Did you like it better with one or without?

DCM/JTM said...

I think you left out one very important detail. Mom

Unknown said...

Bonny- hmm that's a hard question. I really liked not having an epidural after it was over with. It was nice to be able to get up and walk around and all that. I do not like not feeling in control of my body. BUT I don't know if I could ever plan on not having an epidural again. I think it would have to be a situation similar to the one I had with Jack.
How do you feel about it?

Mom- What detail?

Chad & Bonny Day said...

With Hallie, I had one, with Owen I didn't. (not by choice, our labor stories are very similar, he came too fast and I waited too long to go to the hospital) I was in so much pain after having him that I couldn't even hold him. So I prefer an epidural. Next time, just tell them not to give you so much, with Hallie it was starting to wear off when I started pushing, so I was able to feel, but not hurt.

Unknown said...

Bonny- Yeah, I think Janel had told me your story before I had Will. It definitely made me want to have an epidural.

Unknown said...

Bonny- Yeah, I think Janel had told me your story before I had Will. It definitely made me want to have an epidural.