Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Yard Work

While Patrick's been off from school, I've been keeping him busy working on his "honey do" list. We worked in the yard quite a bit last week. Olivia came over to help. Tuesday, Patrick trimmed some trees with the chainsaw and Olivia and I supervised. When he would step back, Liv and I would grab the branches and pull them away.

Olivia usually grabbed smaller ones, but when she came to this one and pulled on it without any luck she said, "I think I need a little some help please." She is pretty handy to have around.
Liv also brought me a flower for Mother's Day. She picked it out herself. I hear it was her most favorite of all the flowers she saw. For those who don't know what a Tobacco plant looks like(I didn't either)--this is it.
So now we have a tobacco plant soakin' up some sun on our deck. Olivia planted it herself. She informed me that I must water it or it would die. If I didn't think it was so funny I probably would let it die, but it makes me smile every time I see it. By the way, apparently 'Tobacco' means 'Thank You' in Spanish. I did not know this either, but Olivia is just a wealth of information.

I'm also attempting a garden this year. Scary, huh? You betcha! Joe came and plowed up a place for me in our back yard. Then last Wednesday he came to show me what to do next (Mom and Liv came too). We planted corn, tomatoes, lima beans, okra, watermelon, and a few herbs. So hopefully some of it will survive and be tasty. We'll see...

These were taken on the day we planted the garden.
Olivia is "helping" Will with his hat. You have to keep your eye on this one.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, Lori, I just love to read your blog!! It always makes me smile!! Looks like Olivia is a good "helper"!!! Gardens are so hard!! We grew one 2 years ago and its alot of work. And just when the corn was ready to eat, all the racoons at our house had a feast!! Watch out for those!! Good Luck!!

Michelle said...

I planted a garden for the first time this year too. We have some things coming up already. Hopefully we can both have success in our gardens!!

Love the tobacco plant too!!

Rachel said...

Olivia is so cute! We have a really small garden, we used to have everything in our garden, now we just have strawberries, butternut squash (if William becomes a picky eater you can put butternut squash in his mac and cheese and it makes it taste extra cheesy- so it will taste good and be healthy for him) and we also have a few herbs, but that is all.

Matthew said...

Lori,
I'm going to get you a corn-cob pipe to go with the tobacco plant.
-Matthew