Friday, January 29, 2016

Samuel's EEG

Sam's EEG was today. I was really nervous about how he would handle it because even though he's pretty mellow and go-with-the-flow, he can also be a really spunky and feisty kid. He was only supposed to get 4-6 hours of sleep last night so I think that was really helpful in keeping him still, but I was worried it might go the other way and have him super angry and uncooperative. He laid very still and let the EEG Tech put all the electrodes on his head. He did his best to close his eyes and to blow on the pinwheel. When she asked him if he could try and fall asleep he nodded. She then asked if he wanted a pillow, he nodded. And lastly she asked if he wanted a blanket, he nodded. It took a few minutes but he fell right to sleep, thank goodness. I hated waking him up because I knew he was just so exhausted. But he had a pretty good attitude about that, and we washed his hair and went on to meet with the neurologist.

The neurologist read over his EEG and then gave us the results: epilepsy. Not surprising but still crappy to hear. We discussed different medications and things that had worked/helped with Will. We decided to start with depakote. I love/hate relationship with that drug. It helped so much with Will's seizures, but man, it is so hard on a body, especially the liver. Hopefully this will help with the atonic seizures he's been having and also hopefully hopefully hopefully prevent other seizures types from occurring. I will hang on to the hope that his seizures might not spiral out of control like Will's did. That his experience will be much much milder. That he will be able to grow out of this like we are hoping Will has/is.  We go back in 3 months to meet with our neurologist, Dr. Ess. Hopefully this will work and we won't need to see him before that.

Sam cried almost the whole way back home. He was soo tired and really getting hungry. We stopped and got him a gravy and biscuit, cinnamon raisin biscuit, and an orange juice on the way home. I sat him in my lap and fed him till he decided I was moving too slow and took the fork and finished feeding himself. He ate pretty much all of it, and only shared a few bites with me. I love this little spunky boy so much. I hope I can be what he needs.







0 comments: