Friday, January 20, 2012

"There's a Bunch of Bones Inside Me..."

Jack was procrastinating nap time eating his lunch, I was putting dishes away, and Will was climbing into bed, when out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jack starting to fall from his chair at the table. As I quickly tried to get to him, I thought that he was going to fall right on his head.  Seconds later, I realized I never heard a thump and that his right foot was stuck in the slats of the chair. As I pulled it out, I thought for sure it was broken. It just looked so contorted. He was screaming in pain and just sounded so pitiful. I quickly gave him some Motrin and told him we needed to go to the doctor. Oh my did that terrify him! He really started crying then and saying he was scared. I carefully carried him to his room and laid him on the floor so I could change his diaper and shirt. The shirt was soaking wet from a cup of water that spilled on him when he fell. While he was laying there crying, I asked, "Does your foot hurt really bad?" He said, "And my arm." That confused me because I didn't see him bump it. He let out a loud scream when I changed his diaper and paranoia set in that his hip was dislocated. I called the doctor and they told me to come right on. When I told Will he needed to change clothes so we could take Jack, he wasn't very sympathetic. He said,"But it's my nap time!" What can I say? The kid loves his naps. While I was gathering up our things to go, Jack was laying in his floor crying and not moving, and begging for me to hold him. It was pretty sad. I couldn't help but get teared up a few times. I tried to reassure him that the doctor would make it all better.

With all the emergency hospital visits we've had to make, one of the most important things I've learned is never forget their blankets or favorite sleeping buddy. I can't stress how necessary these items are!! I didn't grab them the first time we had an ER visit, but I've always remembered since. When we got to his office, I carefully unbuckled Jack and made sure to take his bear and blanket in with us. As we were walking in Jack through his tears mustered some courage and said, " I have my bayer and banket. I'm gonna be so brave. I'll be allll right." He is such a sweet, tender hearted little boy!

After a few X-rays it was determined that Jack's tibia was broken. The arm X-rays weren't showing any visible breaks but he was still not using it. They sent us to an orthopedic doctor who took a few more Xrays of Jack's arm. He saw fluid around the elbow in the growth plate. He thought it best to go ahead and splint it along with the leg just in case. When we come back in a week, the Xray should give us more information.

Jack was a pretty good sport through the whole ordeal but started feeling pretty sorry for himself when we got home, and he realized he couldn't drink his milkshake without help from Mama. He was so sad that he almost didn't drink it at all. After dinner, he was ready for bed. I laid him on our bed and turned on Bubble Guppies for him. There is an episode "Call a Clambulance" about a fish that breaks his tail bone. Jack has a new imaginary bosom buddy! But when the first catchy song came on. "A Bunch of Bones," and Will jumped up to dance, Jack got big tears in is eyes and said, "I can't dance! Mommy take it off. My boo boos all better." It was pretty pitiful.


2 comments:

The Longnecker Zoo said...

Poor little guy. That is so sad!!!

Unknown said...

Poor little Jack. He must have been so sad that he couldn't dance!!! Poor him!!!