Friday, July 11, 2014

Swim Lessons

I finally had the boys take swim lessons. It was an adventure for sure. Since a couple summers had been spent with lots of seizures, one of those in particular extremely difficult, learning to swim hadn't been a top priority. Will and Jack were both pretty unsure about the idea of it all. I had heard some good things about a swim teacher in La Vergne. I checked out his website, schedules, and cost, and sent an email. He emailed me back pretty quickly, and I reserved the spots. I didn't find out until a few days before the lesson that this guys approach was definitely not like mine. Where I would be more gentle and patient he was much more forceful and do it now. I was a little nervous but I'd heard really good things and already paid a substantial deposit.

We went bright and early Monday morning and the kids were both pretty apprehensive. He basically told the parents, in a sunroom where they would stay for the duration of the lesson, that he didn't put up with silliness from kids or parents. He was pretty intense and I feared a little bit for my children's emotional health, but I liked him and so did so many others that I thought we should stick it out.

He took W&J crying from me out to the pool. It was a rough first day for all the kids, but by the end of the lesson both boys had already made progress. I decided to go ahead and enroll Sam for the rest of the week.

Monday night at dinner the boys were feeling pretty proud of their accomplishments and Jack said, "Mom, we can't go tomorrow. I think I'm going to be busy...I gotta clean my room." Patrick and I both laughed pretty good at that one. I decided we needed a scripture refresher and we started re-memorizing "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Will was on board, Jack still wasn't buying it.

The next morning was quite a challenge getting Jack to cooperate. I prevailed and we made it on time. I sat outside this time and was able to watch them as long as they didn't cry. Jack had an excellent second day but Will was still stiff and worried. Sam did fantastic too. By Wednesday everyone was (mostly) enjoying the swim lessons. And by Friday Will and Jack really decided they liked Coach Gareth after all.

They started out the week scared of the water and by the end they were jumping in and swimming the length of the pool. I was so proud of them, and especially proud of Will who really struggled in the beginning but kept trying, and did it with a pretty good attitude. His confidence by the end of the week sky rocketed! On Wednesday morning he said, "Sometimes I get a little sad, but then I get happy." I asked him how, and he said, "I think about Jesus and know He will help me."  He was such a great example to Jack and a big supporter of him. Makes my heart swell when they look after each other.



















0 comments: