Wednesday, August 14, 2013

School Boy

I have dreaded the end of summer since spring. I knew in August my baby would no longer be considered a baby by nearly everyone but me. The things I hate about Tennessee Kindergarten public schools--well, the brief list-- 1. No longer a half day, but a full 7 hours. 2. Social development takes a backseat to academics. 3. So. Much. Wasted. Time.

After talking with a lovely lady who I admire a lot, I decided on Eagleville Elementary. This was not the school we were zoned for, and pretty inconvenient. But I felt like, after lots of prayers, lots of thinking, and a lot more talking (sorry, Honey), it was best place for him. And if it didn't work, I could always home school. :/

All through the summer, every time I thought about him being away from me, I was nauseous. I would pray and remember the little mercies that the Lord had sent or was sending to help me feel at ease and peaceful with this change. I don't want to forget those so I'm going to document them here. I was concerned about the distance from a hospital and how long it would take an ambulance to arrive. The first time I went there I noticed that the ambulance station was right next to the school. With Will's seizures and some of his personality he tends to have a higher anxiety about things. The smaller school size and class size felt so so good to me. When I met the principal for the zone exemption he was kind and mentioned that when he was younger he had epilepsy. I could have Gretchen Solomon as Will's first introduction to school!! Can't think of another person outside of family who would love my baby and make him feel special and safe.

The night before his phase-in day we went to his school's open house. I was feeling nervous and apphrensive again about this change and how he would handle it. At the Kindergarten meeting the teachers gave the parents a handprint cut-out. We were to write a note to our child that would be read to them on their phase-in day. Just looking at the handprint made me get tear, so I decided to bring it home so that I could blubber in private instead.

We got home and quickly put the kids to bed in order to get everything ready for the next day. I went to find Will's new backpack to put his supplies in. When I unipped it I saw a couple pieces of paper that had been drawn on and decorated with stamps, a stamp, a paint brush, and an Elmer's glue stick. This filled my heart with so much happiness and sadness. He was excited. So was I. When did he grow up?

The next morning, Patrick woke up early and went to Hardee's to get the boys gravy and biscuit for the first day of school breakfast. Patrick went with us, because I was scarred. He sat in the car with the Jack and Sam, while I took Will in. He was excited. He went right in. He kindly obliged and let me take some pictures, and then went to play. I spoke with Gretchen for a few minutes and then called Will over to give me a hug and a kiss. I walked out feeling happy and at ease. I had a few happy tears--grateful tears. It was easier leaving him than I thought it would be. I think partly because I am just so so grateful he is well enough to go to school. It was hard to be sad when I thought about how far we'd come. I'm so happy we can add this to his milestones.













0 comments: