Friday, August 26, 2011

Will's Surgery

After a lot of praying, fasting, talking, and a lot more praying and talking, we decided to move ahead with Will's scheduled VNS surgery. He got to ride to the surgery room in a cozy coupe to lighten some of the anxiety over the surgery, which I think is a brilliant idea. The surgery then began around 10:30 and was over about 12:30. I was so anxious for it to be over. We met with Dr. Pearson, the neurosurgeon, and he was very pleased with the way it went. He gave us our instructions, and we were able to go see Will shortly after that. He was still very groggy from the anesthesia and didn't want mommy to hold him, but dad. Surprise surprise (I'm starting to get a little jealous).

We are now in our room for the night (hopefully) for observation, and will go home tomorrow. Will laid in the bed for most of the afternoon. At one point he thought he might get up, but then when he felt too much pain and decided he'd better just stay put. They made 2 incisions. One on his neck to get to the vagus nerve and one on his chest to implant the stimulator. Papa J came by for a visit and we have stayed busy since playing Thomas the Train UNO and Will taking silly pictures of Patrick. We again are so so thankful for all the prayers and thoughts for Will and our family. DON'T STOP! :) Seriously. Please please don't.

Something sweet Will said that I didn't want to forget while we were waiting for the surgery was, "I miss Jack. I want him to come to Vanderbilt." I for one hope he never needs to come here, but can appreciate the sentiment. We all miss him but know he's in the best of hands. And one more thing. In the picture of me and Will I told Will to say, "I love Mommy!" but he chose to say, "I love m&ms!!" Stinker!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll add M&M's to my shopping list . . .

So glad he feels like being a "stinker" :)

Angicle said...

Just know that we are certainly praying for you guys and little Will. I feel awful that I didn't know about all of this sooner, but it is a blessing to know that you are being taken care of. It's great to know that the surgery went well! We love you guys.

Brittany said...

Oh my goodness, I had no idea all this was going on. You are so inspiring. I love how you are writing day to day life in the hospital. Little Will seems like such a happy fun child, I'm so sorry ya'll are having to go through all of this. I hope the recovery from the surgery goes well, and quick! Good luck w/ everything.

Jenny said...

What a trooper! I am glad to see a sweet smile on Will's face! Thanks for all the updates. Your family is in our every prayer. We love you!