Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Will's 1st Birthday

We celebrated William's birthday on Saturday. We had a small little gathering of close family. We were excited to have Mandy and her girls tune in via web cam to sing to William and watch him open his gifts. The party started out kinda rough. Everyone got here and Will hadn't woken up from his afternoon nap. He was not happy! He did not like being the center of attention--but he got over it! He loved having a few of his cousins here to play with.
One of his favorite books is The Very Hungry Caterpillar. So that is what we kinda based the theme on. He loved being able to feed himself his very own "caterpillar" head.This was and is his most favorite thing he got. He carries it everywhere. I'm not a big toy person so it works out perfectly that this didn't cost us a dime. So thanks, Mandy, for insisting I take a few of the girls old toys. I still have a few things down in the basement that should work nicely for Christmas :)
Me and the cutest, most sweetest, birthday boy in the world!

To say the least it's been a very exciting year. Filled with some tears shed by both parties. I remember not long after we had William home, sitting in the rocking chair in his room trying to decipher what in the world could be wrong with him. sick? cold? hot? hungry? sleepy? HELP!

I would sit and cry and tell him I'm so sorry you had to come here!


But mainly for me it's been happy tears. I can't say the same for William. Poor trial and error baby.


I can't believe he is a year old. Time has flown by. But what I really can't believe is that we were actually able to keep him alive--
--I think we'll keep him.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to your sad, helpless tears and the guilt! And, more importantly, the LOVE and JOY! Your cake turned out great! I love the theme. Happy birthday, Will! We sure love you!

kinslowfamily5 said...

Wow it just seems crazy that he is already a year old. Happy 1st Birthday Will!

Janel said...

Happy B-day Will! Lori I love the cake and theme, so cute! Keeping a baby alive for a full year is quite the accomplishment:)...I am just hoping I can make it.

Jenny said...

Cute cake!! Great job! Happy Birthday!! I would count every year I haven't scared my kids too terrible much or had to go to the ER because of something a great year...has there ever really been a year like that? Hmmmm...Nope! :)

You are a great MOM and William is a beautiful little boy!

Bridget said...

What a sweet little guy you have! That Hungry Caterpillar cake is darling!!!

Brittany said...

Wow! I can't believe he's 1! Happy b-day William. I love the cake, I'm guessin you made it. You're so talented.

Paige Todd said...

thank you. laurel is super excited about being a big sister and we are hoping for a brother. your little one is getting big. hold on tight to every day because after the first birthday it flies by way too fast!