Thursday, February 28, 2008

Chicken Experience

So today I had a new experience. I had done some grocery shopping a little earlier in the week. They were having a sale on their meats, and since I am not able to get out much with the baby, I went ahead and bought several different cuts and kinds. One of those I bought was some chicken breast. Well, these particular breasts were different than any I had purchased before. These had bones in them. Since they were on sale, I thought I would try my hand at it.

They sat in my refrigerator for about a day and I decided I would have to do something with them. While searching for a recipe online I found a website that showed you how to "debone" them. Looked easy enough. Little did I know what I was in for...

As I removed the plastic I noticed the ribs. I was totally grossed out. I began washing and removing the skin and tried really hard to touch it as little as possible . I had never seen all those little ribs before (pathetic, I know) and they were bloody on the tips. It was gross!

Once I washed everything I just laid it on the cutting board thinking, "I can't do this. I'm gonna call Mom and she can have these things." I know I was being silly but I didn't care. When I tried calling and couldn't get an answer, I went back to the website to review the course of action I had to take. As I took that first breast in my hand to remove the bones and held the knife in the other, I gave myself a little pep talk "Come on, you can do it! It's really not that bad." Who am I kidding? I heard my knife scrape against those bones and about lost it. Meanwhile Will started crying, I had chicken slime all over my hands, and I am trying to not throw-up and remain calm all at the same time. For the love! What did I get myself into?

Well, believe it or not, I did finally get all those bones out. I fear I wasted quite a bit of the chicken amid the process, but I really don't care. I was just trying to get the job over with as quickly as possible. I made sure to discard the "remains" before Patrick got home so he wouldn't see the massacre that had occurred in our happy home and plus it was just really a disgusting sight.

Believe it or not, I did finally get dinner done and the chicken cooked. Patrick really liked it...I wish I had just had leftover soup.

0 comments: